From the water’s edge

October 2015 - Lost in cyber-space

I hope that you find my journal interesting and entertaining. If, having read this, you think that I am talking rubbish then at least you have stopped and thought about it long enough to come to that conclusion which is something of a result in my book. If you would like to comment on this article or anything else relating to my website, please feel free to contact me using the adjacent form. Feedback is always greatly appreciated and very helpful when it comes to improving both my site and my angling. Thank you for looking. If this form will not work for you, please e-mail me at



At last, thanks to the commitment and help of a single BT engineer, I am back on line. Why I have been gone for so long is an unbelievably tedious, non fishing related story. My line went dead on 2 October leaving me with no phone or internet. Some very helpful people in India with first-rate scripts in front of them have been helpfully ringing me up twice a week ever since to tell me that it was still broken (I had noticed), but we were getting no further until Julie collared a real live engineer working on the green cabinet at the other end of the village. Our line wasn’t even on his list to be fixed after five weeks, but out of common decency, and a desire to help, he had a look for us, and plugged the wire back in. I kid you not. Thank you that man.

It’s been so long, that I can’t even remember what happened the last time I was out with Pete, but from the pictures it looks like Terry was there, and we caught some nice fish, so it must have been fun anyway. I seem to remember catching a fish or two dibbling crayfish beneath the pole but really that’s as far as my memory will allow me down that particular path. Old age, I guess, don’t you just love it. I can still remember most of what I did when I was seventeen ( when I was sober anyway), but four weeks ago? It’s a mystery.

I do know that since I last wrote this up, I went on holiday to Mull again and as usual loz and I packed the ultra lite gear for a bit of sea fishing. Blimey did we catch some fish. Just like last year. Hundreds, literally hundreds of small pollack and coalfish up to around the pound mark, and don’t they go. They came flying to the surface in thirty feet of rough water to hammer our one and two inch baits as they skipped at high speed through the top six inches of water. They fought like they had the devil on their tails and were the most enormous fun. Much as I love my canal fishing, I could do a lot more in the salt if only I lived a bit closer, that’s for damned sure. I had two or three tiny cod as well which was fun, but the best thing of all was that Loz had packed his fly rod. He caught as many as I did, both on flies (white woolly buggers worked well) and small curlys and nano minnows on 1 gram jigheads. In two weeks, we never saw another angler. And then there was the scenery, and the seals and the otters and sea eagles and ..... somebody remind me why I came back?

For all those that asked by the way, thank you, I appreciate your concern and I am fine, apart from a bad bout of phone rage.

artificial lite

journal 2015.


journal 2015.