From the water’s edge

May 2015 - The answer... is in here somewhere.

Must try harder but showing steady improvement. There are definite signs that we are leaving the doldrums behind. It is not all plain sailing however. Takes on this beautiful sunny morning were not exactly savage.

I would have liked to spend more time teasing the perch with small curly tails, they usually work well here, but the heavy winds of the last few days had left the canal covered with debris as you can see. It would have been a nice day to go down to 1 or 2 gm jigheads, but they just would not pull the lure down through the dross. It was 3.5 and a shad or a lot of wasted casts. Two inch then, although I gave three inch ones a fair trial, but twos did the damage.

Nowt spectacular, just a flick here and a tap there and a succession of small Zs and the odd perch. Nice fishing. One particularly doubtful indication triggered an uncharacteristically rapid strike and a nice bend in the rod. Probably a slightly better zander I thought until the golden flash and the stripes provoked rapid deployment of the net. No messing about today, loose wrists, a final run and as the rod pulled it back, I made sure the net was in the right place. A nice perch and the scales proved that the next two pounder is getting closer. Just four more ounces and the drought will officially be over.

A few casts later I thought it was. The tip stayed over, a miracle in itself given that this time, I acted with the speed and agility of a dead sloth to a sharp take beneath the trees opposite. As is always the case on light tackle, a stubborn resistance of more than a few seconds, turned out to be caused by an olive marbled idiot. Demonstrating quite clearly that there was an idiot at both ends of the line, I let it have a good chew on my fingers once I had it on the bank.


As soon as I had seen it surface with no visible sign of the lure, I knew it had to go in the net dead quick or another valuable clip would be at risk. I backed off the pressure, not completely but I let the fish turn away and make a short run and as it was turned back towards me by the pressure of the rod I just kept its momentum going straight into the net. The lure was inside its chops and as I held it up to gather it in the forceps, the fish kicked and the fluoro went. As soon as the tension was off, the lure fell free. I was happy with that, but the net was now covered in snot, everything stunk and I was bleeding like a man who has just come second after fifteen rounds with a liquidiser. But still, that was a nice set of three.

One of the canal trusts barges came chugging around the corner shortly afterwards and we made a bad decision. They are so deep and heavy that they invariably dig the bottom up very badly. We decided to move a few hundred yards and hope to find clearer water. We did but it is always a mistake to leave feeding fish behind and we never had another take. Things had been going well and instead of trying to be too clever and jumping to conclusions we really should have waited until we were sure that the fishing had been affected where we knew they were feeding.

All the same, we had some fun today and it was lovely weather out there. The river season is coming though, plans to be made and tickets to be bought.

I hope that you find my journal interesting and entertaining. If, having read this, you think that I am talking rubbish then at least you have stopped and thought about it long enough to come to that conclusion which is something of a result in my book. If you would like to comment on this article or anything else relating to my website, please feel free to contact me using the adjacent form. Feedback is always greatly appreciated and very helpful when it comes to improving both my site and my angling. Thank you for looking. If this form will not work for you, please e-mail me at

artificial lite



journal 2015.


journal 2015.